Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Garden Journal 07-17-07

Okay, I had started writing this in the notebook that I tried to do some journaling in before, but I have been very unsuccessful. So, I thought that I would just do them on here and keep the notebook for quick, misc. jots and what-not. Anyway, I need to get to the point. The Sagittaria (latifolia I think) seeds that I acquired while in Louisiana are my first project. They grow in boggy and swampy areas, native all over the U.S., but only hardy zone 7. I mixed up some peat-based potting soil mixed with moss and wet down pretty well. I put it in a African Violet planter. I thought that would be a good way to keep the soil really moist for starting the seeds. I sprinkled some on the surface of the mix as they need light for germ. The trick is that they have a double dormancy period before they will germinate, so I think that I will put them in the fridge for a month without watering again, take out for 6-8wks and keep the reservoir full to try and simulate a bog-like environment, and then empty out the water and put it back into the fridge to create a "second winter." When I take it back out I will have to put it under the grow lights, elevated so it is about 4" from the grow lights. If the African Violet pot method doesn't work, I did read a source that eluded to the use of a reg pot in 5cm of water, but what worries me about this is won't the seeds float to the surface if they are submerged? So do they mean to set a pot in 5cm of water around it? I'll see if I can figure this out a little better, but I hope the A.V. pots work. If they sprout I can put them into individual pots and then submerge the pots in water, increasing the levels with the growth of the plants. I had read somewhere that they can be under 0-6" I thought, but now I am having a hard time finding that reference. I now found one that said to keep 1/2" of water above the soil surface, I am think that, so far and from what I read, that to 2" should be good, we'll see. I have plenty of time to find a waterproof container to put this in, however I will also have to find a way of getting it full sun. I wonder if I could build a decorative conatiner with flourescent lights suspended over it. I could also get some of that, I think it is called, floating lettuce to put in there too. It would make a really sweet water garden indoors. Also, now that I think of it, I should make a plan involving making it into a fountain too. I promised Sam I would do that with his shells from the Gulf. Anyway, totally distracted...what else was I going to talk about???

Oh, I also, I have harvested or been given Red Canna Lillies, Coral Plant (Pink), Stella D'Oro Lillies. The Coral Plant (Jatropha multifida) is going to be my main focus.

Also, I need to catalog and determine what seeds I am going to get rid of and the post them on the seed swap on the NHGC member forum. Ok...anyway. That's it for now! Lata ya'll!

1 comment:

Sam said...

I think you are so awesome :)